We are proud of our history
“J.R.Ashmore & Son” was originally started in 1932, their first day of trading on cup final day April 23rd (Newcastle Utd 2, Arsenal 1) by Len & Phyllis Ashmore. They traded as ”L. & P. Ashmore” at 32 Park Avenue, Uttoxeter. Len was a compositor with a local printer, “F. A. Harper Newsagents and Printers”, 8 High Street, Uttoxeter, but he needed to make more money for his family so he made and sold ice-cream as a side-line at weekends. Phyl cycled around the local area with a refrigerated box on the side, letting local people know ice cream was for sale by shouting “Hockey Pockey”. Their son John Richard Ashmore helped in the business from the age of 12. A customer took pity on him and bought him a handbell to ring to save his voice.
In 1935 they moved to a newly built property, “Cremona” Park Street, Uttoxeter, where the business is still based today. Here they continued to manufacture ice-cream and run a grocery shop until the Second World War. During the war they manufactured ice cream for the American forces only. They used their ingredients as none were available to civilians because of the food rationing in Great Britain. Sugar was still rationed until 1953 and rationing finally ended in 1954. The American troops were stationed at Sudbury, which is now Sudbury Prison. John Richard was a cinema projectionist during the war for Associated British Cinemas (ABC) at the Empire Theatre, Longton, Stoke on Trent.
After the war the family started to expand, and in 1946 joined the Ice Cream Alliance (I.C.A.). In 1951 they entered the first National Ice Cream Competitions in Manchester, and have awards from every major competition since then, including a Silver Medal from the Royal Dairy Show in 1964, a Silver Medal from the ICA Show at Wembley 2003 and a Bronze Medal from the 2013 Expo at Harrogate, In 2014 we won our first ever Gold Medal followed by our second Gold Medal in 2015 at the National Expo Harrogate. Ashmores now have more awards for quality than any other manufacturer in the Midlands.
In 1954 John married Barbara and she joined them in the business. They worked together as a family based at Cremona, trading as “L. Ashmore & Son”. Len and Phyl then moved to a shop in Doveridge, but at busy times came to help John making ice cream. When Len & Phyl finally sold the shop and retired they moved back to New Road, Uttoxeter, still helping in the business which now became “J. R. Ashmore”. They finally bought Carlton, the house next door to Cremona, where John Carl Ashmore now lives.
The business is now being run by the third generation of Ashmores, John Carl joining his father and mother in the business in 1982, which was renamed to the current “J. R. Ashmore & Son”.
It had always been a tradition with Len to taste every batch of ice cream, his theory being that if it wasn’t good enough for him to eat, it wasn’t good enough for the customers. In those days a batch of ice cream was only 2 gallons. The price of an ice cream was an old half penny. Today the batches are 55 gallons (250 litres) and the tradition still goes on to taste every batch.
Each year we attend many varied types of events. Including Carnivals, Fetes, all types of sporting gatherings and tournaments including athletics, marathons, football and five a side , horse shows and gymkhanas, clay pigeon shoots, rugby, cricket and swimming galas, May Days, Open Days, Weddings, parties, Anniversaries, Well Dressings, Music Festivals, Flower shows, Garden Parties. We have all the relevant insurances and food safety training with experienced staff. We are registered with the local authority and have regular inspections.
We can cater for nearly every kind of event and offer a friendly and flexible service. Give us a call on 01889 562418 and we will be happy to chat with you about your requirements and pricing.